Search This Blog

Sunday, May 1, 2011

I'm not Iron Man

Today is the 40th-something Minnesota Ironman bike ride. It's a ride through a suburban / rural area south of the metro. I'm sure back when these crazies started this thing, it was an entirely rural ride. So this is part of my project to be on my bike this year. Also my now ex-friend Joe Eykyn, wants to get some folks together for the fun of doing the Ironman.

It's May 1st. In most of the country that means sunny days, blooming flowers and mild temps. In Minnesota it just means the snow has melted. It's still cold, cloudy and windy. The crazies that dreamed up this ride are the same nuts that cut holes in the ice on lakes and jump in. So as I said, it's May 1st and temp at ride time is 34 degrees. The wind is blowing steady at 21 mph, with gusts to 35 mph. The wind chill is 20 something. Oh yeah, it is sneeting. Sneet is that unidentifiable hard round white beanbag sized ice ball. It's not sneeting a lot, but enough to have the unpleasant sensation of being stung in the face by wind whipped sneet. Our goal today is for a 30 mile ride. This is the option that allows families and middle aged overweight guys to buy a shirt so they can say they road the Ironman. Very quickly into the first head wind, a new course is set. Joe and I opt for the granny 17 mile ride. The other more intrepid members of the team remained determined.

My feet hurt so badly. They are so cold I can't take it. Cyclists around me have expensive and unattractive cold weather gear. The goofiest items are neoprene foot covers. I bet their feet are not frozen. I'm beginning to understand why they wear that stuff. I have on a soft shell, jeans and tennis shoes. Joe's a real nut. He's wearing shorts. I'm getting colder by the minute. "Joe, My feet are frozen. I'm riding to the warning house. I'll see you later." Warm as promised. With hot coffee too. I still have 10 miles to ride. I don't want to leave. After 45 minutes of sitting eating muffins and drinking coffee, it's time to leave. I ride like hell to get to the car, and warmth. A man's got to know his limitations. I have found mine.

1 comment:

  1. Joe did it too? That's cool. You are one step closer to manhood.

    ReplyDelete