Search This Blog

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Bike Culture... A Culture of Change?

It is a good week for riding.  Even though I postponed the idea of riding to work, because equipment and accoutrement makes it an extravagant proposition, I remain committed to riding.  The riding-to-work guy is a subculture to an existing biking culture.  His creed is preparation for any eventuality.  He's like the iPhone guy everyone knows.  You know, the guy who for every conversation says, "I have an app for that." The question came up of what to do when it rains.  Rain gear, right?  That, I discovered includes shoes, or neoprene booties for my shoes.  Are you kidding me!?  Let's look at the necessary items for a regular bike to work guy:
  • Fenders
  • Rack
  • Panniers (waterproof)
  • Waterproof booties
  • Rain coat
  • Rain pants
These items are necessary unless you work at Jimmy Johns, in which case a good rain is your only opportunity to shower that week.

All this for a 6 mile commute.  I don't want to ride to work to accomplish a noble goal like lower emissions. Or be thrifty and save money on parking.  I want to ride to work to ingrain a sense of the bike culture in my thought process.  Not the bike commuting, or the quit-bathing-and-get-tattoos subcultures.  I need a completely different thought process.  For me, cycling is an exercise event.  Like going to the gym.  The problem with going to the gym is that I never go to the gym.  I'm not sure I know where one is.  The point is, I ride because I need to exercise.  I have to figure out how to fit exercise into my life as a husband, father, dog owner, traveling salesman and couch potato.  It doesn't work.  I guess what I'm looking for is to have an active life. Live an active lifestyle rather than try a regimented program of pain and suffering. I want to enjoy my time on the bike. So far I haven't enjoyed this project at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment