Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

It's Thursday and it's rush hour... And it's sleeting

WTF! When I rode in this morning, it was sunny.  It was cold, but sunny.  Now it's cold and it's sleeting on me.  My beautiful and always correct wife, told me not to ride to work today, because it might rain.  I looked at the weather and it looked fine.  My thought this morning was, if I'm going to do this, I have to put up with cold days.  I really want to be serious about this.  She reminded me I don't have rain gear.  She said, "Dan has rain gear."  Well isn't Dan special.  Also, fancy fat guy bike doesn't have panniers to carry gear.  I rode in anyway.

So, now, I'm sitting here outside the building thinking about my ride down Portland Avenue in rush hour getting totally soaked.  And there is still all that sand in the bike lane.  Wet sand spewing up from my tire onto my khaki pants and dress shirt.  That's right, fancy fat guy bike doesn't have fenders either.  I need to minimize the damage.  I get on the train and take it to the parkway and ride the bike trail to the house. 

More adjustments need to be made.  Fancy fat guy bike does not work for commuting.  It's too sensitive.  It doesn't have panniers.  And there are no fenders.  This is turning out to be harder than I thought.  Riding to work is easy.  Riding to work and meeting the dress code requirements is hard.  If I worked at Jimmy Johns, I could come to work filthy, and not bother with all that gear for my bike.

1 comment:

  1. I hear they have a shower in our parking ramp. Maybe you could use the mother's room on 26 to change?

    ReplyDelete